See our right-hand column for announcements and news briefs. Scroll down the right-hand column to access the Archives -- links to articles posted in the main column since 2007. See details about our site, including a way to comment, in the yellow text above the Archives.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Message from Charlotte Loonsfoot: Treat Mother Earth with honor, respect

Editor's Note: MARQUETTE -- On Friday, April 23, Charlotte Loonsfoot, a member of the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community (KBIC) sent an email to friends announcing her intention to "take a stand" on Eagle Rock and to invite others to join her. We requested and received her permission to publish her email on Keweenaw Now. Here is her message:

Top of Eagle Rock. (Keweenaw Now file photo)

By Charlotte Loonsfoot
Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realize
we cannot eat money.

Our Mother Earth is the source of all life, whether it be plants, the two-legged, four-legged, winged ones or human beings. The Mother Earth is the greatest teacher, if we listen, observe and respect her. When we live in harmony with the Mother Earth, she will recycle the things we consume and make them available to our children. As a Native American, I must teach my children how to care for the Earth so it is there for the future generations.

So from now on,
I realize the Earth is our Mother. I will treat her with honor and respect.
I will honor the interconnectedness of all things and all forms of life.
I will realize the Earth does not belong to us, but that we belong to the Earth.
The natural law is the ultimate authority upon the lands and water. I will learn the knowledge and wisdom of the natural laws. I will pass this knowledge on to my children.

The Mother Earth is a living entity that maintains life. I will speak out in a good way whenever I see someone abusing the Earth. Just as I would protect my own mother, so I will protect the Earth. I will ensure that the land, water, and air will be intact for my children and for my children's children -- the unborn.

There is a site marked just feet from Eagle Rock. This is where the mining entrance is going in and will run underneath Eagle Rock. We will not be able to go to this beautiful place because it will be fenced off to us. The time is now -- we have to go protect what is right and true to our people and our future !!! This will be a peaceful protest.

Please pass on to everyone, Miigwich.*

*Ojibwa "Thank you."

No comments: