See our right-hand column for announcements and news briefs. Scroll down the right-hand column to access the Archives -- links to articles posted in the main column since 2007. See details about our site, including a way to comment, in the yellow text above the Archives.

Thursday, October 15, 2020

Guest article: Jennifer Kelly, Houghton County Clerk/Register of Deeds tells her story

Jennifer Kelly, Houghton County Clerk/Register of Deeds. (Photo courtesy Committee to Elect Jennifer Kelly, Houghton County Clerk/Register of Deeds)

[Editor's Note: Jennifer Kelly, Houghton County Clerk and Register of Deeds, who has held this office for the past six years and worked for Houghton County for 20 years, is running for re-election as a Democrat. In March 2020 Kelly was the victim of a threatening phone call involving her Republican opponent, Justin Kasieta. Kelly was asked to keep silent about the incident for months during a county and law enforcement investigation. The story became public this week, and we are publishing, with permission, Jennifer Kelly's own account of the incident.]

By Jennifer Kelly, Houghton County Clerk/Register of Deeds
Published with permission

There has been a lot of talk about bullies lately, and in this election season, there are no shortage of them. As Midwesterners, we have been taught to treat people with respect, even when we disagree with our neighbors. We were taught that democracy involves differences of opinion and that thoughtful debate is the way through. As your County Clerk in Houghton County, I want to assure you that I will always fight bullies and I will always stand up for what is right -- especially after what has happened to me here in Houghton County one night, my home of 49 years.

On March 6th [2020] at 1:01 a.m., I received a phone call that would cement my commitment against bullies. "I am calling from TV 6 News, to film your home," said a voice I will never forget. Doubting very much that TV 6 would call me at 1:01 a.m., I asked who the caller was. "It is TLC Hoarders, Bitch." I am paraphrasing, but he went on to tell me that he has seen the inside of my home. I was shocked. Like many women who are threatened, I froze. Then he said, "I am going to make sure you are never re-elected you f_____g bitch." I panicked for a minute, but then I found my strength and told him I was going to hang up. Before I hung up he threatened to both "poison and kill my dogs and throw them in a dumpster."

I ran to my garage and to each door and locked it, made sure my father was safe and called the sheriff. I shut all my curtains and stood guard over my home and father until dawn. The sheriff called for a trooper to come to my house, but none came. The telephone company was able to retrieve the telephone number and the sheriff of this town was vigilant and traced the call to Matt Smith, in Genesee County, MI.* The detective researched Facebook and revealed that Matt Smith and Justin Kasieta were connected. The police report from Houghton County has Justin Kasieta’s confession of being on the call that night: The report says that Kasieta "was on a three-way call and listened to Smith call Kelly."

I was asked by police to identify the voice and it was the voice of Matt Smith -- a voice I will never forget for its evil intent. But what cemented Smith’s involvement was the fact that when the detective called Smith, he used the same phone number as was used to call me when he returned the call -- the same one traced in the call.

Detective Saaranen told me that Justin confessed and was willing to put together an agreement in order to keep his job with Representative Greg Markkanen.* At this point Justin retained an attorney, who proposed an agreement that he would confess to the crime and that he would withdraw from running in return for not pressing charges. This agreement was to be a written confession. But I never saw the agreement, and even though I have not seen it, it is more important for the truth about Justin to come out.

While the county investigated these two, I was asked to keep quiet while the county and state police investigated. Just yesterday, I was told I could share my story publicly.

But the story goes from two to three. Detective Saaranen reported to me that Justin was on the phone that very evening. The detective was the first one to confirm that Jake Puhtala, who works for Michigan State Senator McBroom*, was also on the call. It broke my heart to learn this, as I have known Jake and his family for years. This was not discovered until the Michigan State Police investigated further telephone records.

Kasieta’s confession is in the report. John Gleason, Genesee County Clerk, has seen Matt Smith’s confession as well.

"You’ve been had," Gleason said, of the many who are trying to cover up these bad deeds.

My case now sits on the desk of Attorney General Dana Nessel. I hope we can bring these three to justice -- for their own good and for our community. After seven long months I hope these individuals will be held accountable according to Michigan law.

Evil deeds should not go unpunished. Bullies should face prosecution -- because no election is worth our integrity. I remember when we all stood up for what we knew was right instead of blindly taking sides. We need to get back to that. Every Republican, Democrat, Libertarian and others deserve to live in a safe society. I will fight for that safety and integrity as long as I can.

There are heroes, too. County Clerk John Gleason is one. There are many others.

Editor's Notes:

* Matt Smith is a member of the Davison School Board and a candidate for the Genesee County Board of Commissioners.
Greg Markkanen is Michigan 110th District State Representative, who is running for re-election as a Republican. State Senator McBroom is a Republican representing Michigan's 38th Senate District.

Click here to see an interview with Jennifer Kelly by the League of Women Voters of the Copper Country. To learn more about Jennifer Kelly and her campaign, visit her Web site or her Facebook page. Some of Jennifer Kelly's achievements in her six years as Houghton County Clerk are the following:

  •  Saved the County over $250,000 in the last 3 years by implementing free software upgrades in both offices and e-recording of documents in the Register of Deeds office.
  • Implemented a free Veterans Program to thank our veterans by recruiting businesses to give free products and services to our veterans who have filed their DD214 discharge papers.
  • Implemented a free Property Fraud Alert Program to protect Houghton County property owners.
  • Trained 200 election inspectors each election year and ensured secure, lawful elections.

No comments: