See our right-hand column for announcements and news briefs. Scroll down the right-hand column to access the Archives -- links to articles posted in the main column since 2007. See details about our site, including a way to comment, in the yellow text above the Archives.

Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Jocelyn Benson: Thank you ...

[Editor's Note: This is an excerpt from an email received today from Jocelyn Benson, Democratic candidate for Michigan Secretary of State.]*

From Jocelyn Benson:

From the beginning, this campaign was about a different kind of leadership; leadership that puts you first, and fights for you.

We fell short of victory yesterday by just a few percentage points, with 1,437,825 Michigan voters casting their vote in support of our vision.

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for being a part of this campaign, and for your tireless work to help us reach voters all across the state.

The work ahead of us, and my pledge to you remain the same. As I have done throughout my career, I will continue to work to ensure that our democracy remains in the hands of our people. I will stand up to any powerful special interest that is trying to drown out your voice. I will work to make it easier to vote and harder to cheat. And I will stand up to anyone, anywhere that tries to deceive our citizens about their right to vote.

While it may be easier to work for this change with the authority of an office, we owe it to the citizens of Michigan to work wherever we are, however we can, to speak our voice, organize others, and work to enact laws to push for the changes we need.

I also want to offer my deepest thanks to the people who worked closely with me for nearly two years to fight for a better Michigan. ... Our work together will continue.

* See also the Detroit Free Press article "Republican Johnson triumphs in battle for Michigan secretary of state."

No comments: