See our right-hand column for announcements and news briefs. Scroll down the right-hand column to access the Archives -- links to articles posted in the main column since 2007. See details about our site, including a way to comment, in the yellow text above the Archives.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Michigamme Moonshine Art Gallery is exhibiting mixed media by Laura Stahl Maze through Apr. 27

MICHIGAMME -- The Michigamme Moonshine Art Gallery is now exhibiting "Mystic Dream," featuring mixed media by Laura Stahl Maze, through April 27, 2013.

"The Seven of Them," mixed media by Laura Maze. (Photo courtesy Michigamme Moonshine Art Gallery)

A Sunday Afternoon Reception will be held from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Mar. 31, 2013, in the Gallery, located at 136 E. Main, Michigamme, Mich. The public is invited and refreshments will be served.

Laura Stahl Maze thinks about how to connect the unknown mysteries found in her work with her viewers.  After investigating new ideas with gelatin mono-prints, Maze has lately returned to direct painting.

"Painting is not new to me, but I am discovering new things," Maze says. "My paintings with the textures of canvas can be more controlled -- printmaking involves more surprises."

Nevertheless Maze’s prints and paintings are similar in the distinctive style and hue structure in all of her work. Her ability to balance color and saturation lends harmony to each painting.

Maze’s art reflects her passion for interpreting the simple beauty of nature: "I want people to use their own imaginations to see what I want them to see," she notes. "I try to convey the essence of my ideas across the whole canvas."

One of her artistic aspirations is to stir the viewer’s innate curiosity to search and find more than they could discover in just a passing glance: "I love it when people see something in my work that I missed!"

By bringing out one shape after another, Maze develops trees and buildings, landscapes and cityscapes. The process is one part control, two parts creativity and three parts spontaneity.

"While I am obviously in control, I think that the freedom to not over-plan is a hallmark of my work." Maze explains, "The natural way for me is to use my imagination to create a non-traditional interpretation of my ideas."

Michigamme Moonshine Art Gallery Hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday through Friday, and Saturday by chance. For more information call 906-323-6546.

No comments: