See our right-hand column for announcements and news briefs. Scroll down the right-hand column to access the Archives -- links to articles posted in the main column since 2007. See details about our site, including a way to comment, in the yellow text above the Archives.

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Turquoise Gallery to re-open Dec. 20

HANCOCK -- The Turquoise Gallery in Hancock is re-opening Thursday, Dec. 20, with a reception from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., for an exhibition called "Scrapbook" by Sevil Soyer. The exhibition will continue through Jan. 25.

Artist Sevil Soyer, right, and her sister, Serpil Narmanli, pose for a photo together at a previous Turquoise Gallery exhibit. (Keweenaw Now file photo © 2003 Michele Anderson)

While she was away Sevil worked on a series of large paintings inspired by her friends here in the Copper Country.

"When I was in the Copper Country during the 6 years from 1999 to 2005, I met a lot of wonderful people," Soyer writes. "They were very kind, helpful and friendly. With the friendship during the 6 years, Houghton and Hancock became like a second home to me. I have unforgettable memories about these years. My last exhibition is about these people; it is a kind of diary from my life in the U.P. I dedicate this exhibition to my wonderful friends and to the people of the U.P."

The Turquoise Art Gallery is in the E.L.Wright Building (old school) in Hancock. Phone: 906-370-7332.

No comments: