See our right-hand column for announcements and news briefs. Scroll down the right-hand column to access the Archives -- links to articles posted in the main column since 2007. See details about our site, including a way to comment, in the yellow text above the Archives.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Art by Clyde Mikkola opens Aug. 12 at Community Arts Center

HANCOCK -- The current exhibit in the Community Arts Center’s Kerredge Gallery features Art by Clyde Mikkola. The title of this exhibit -- which includes acrylic and watercolor paintings, pencil and pen and ink drawings and stone carvings -- is "Yes, But is it A.D.D.?"

Mikkola explains in his Artist Statement, "Yes, but is it Attention Deficit Disorder? I don't know. The solution I've found is to do what I feel like doing. Sometimes I hit a wall. There's plenty more to do. I just can't see what it is at the moment. If I'm tired of pencil, I'll work in pen and ink, or watercolor. So now you understand why you see things in marble, oil, acrylic, charcoal, etc."

The Calumet artist and native to the area earned his Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the University of Michigan. He has been an Artist in the Schools and an Isle Royale Artist in Residence. He currently has a studio in Mohawk and teaches drawing classes at the Copper Country Community Arts Center. Clyde Mikkola is a master of many mediums.

He states, "Part of my personal approach to the work is to try to forget everything I know about working in a medium, so I must figure out solutions to problems every time I encounter them. It keeps me from getting bored with my work, and it helps me to avoid using "tricks" to produce effects. I try to give every line and brush stroke meaning at the time I make them."

An opening reception will be held from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 12, at the Community Arts Center, 126 Quincy Street in Hancock.

Everyone is welcome to attend. This exhibit is supported by a grant from the Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs with funding from the National Endowment for the Arts.

For more information call (906) 482-2333.

Mikkola to teach Drawing en Plein Air

Capture the beauty of the summer landscape in pencil drawings! Enjoy the outdoors in this drawing class on the coast of Lake Superior and learn the secrets of drawing scenes from nature with local artist Clyde Mikkola.

This class meets from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 14, in Eagle River, where students will draw the surrounding landscape. The class fee is $35. Materials provided on site are yours to keep.

Call the Arts Center at 482-2333 to register or to obtain more information.

No comments: