HOUGHTON -- The Houghton Energy Efficiency Team (HEET) will join with the Green Lecture Series sponsors to present an Energy Efficiency program on Thursday, Oct. 15, at Michigan Tech. HEET will also sponsor an Energy Show on Saturday, Oct. 17, at Dee Stadium.
Green Lecture, Oct. 15: Energy Efficiency in Your Home
The Green Lecture Series will present "ENERGY EFFICIENCY IN YOUR HOME – What Can YOU Do?" by Yvonne Lewis, energy auditor /contractor with Efficiency UNITED, Lansing, at 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 15, in G002, Hesterberg Hall, Michigan Tech Forestry Building. Enjoy free coffee, tea and refreshments. Find out some low to NO-cost ways to reduce home energy use:
- How to define your thermal boundary,
- How furnace filters affect heating comfort and cost,
- How "phantom" items are using power even when not in use,
- How air infiltration into your home quickly removes heat,
- Hands-on demonstrations for DIY caulking, faucet aerators, filter sizing and changing, dry venting, and fireplace chimney work.
- Take home a checklist to inspect your own home.
- Sign up for a FREE energy assessment of your home.
Energy Show: Oct. 17 at Dee Stadium
HEET will sponsor an Energy Show from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 17, in the Dee Stadium Ballroom.
The Energy Show will feature a variety of exhibits, presentations and activities to help community residents and businesses prepare for the upcoming winter. Here are some of the activities planned:
Exhibits: Local businesses and organizations will show off products and services related to energy efficiency and renewables that can help you stay warm and save money.
Sign Up for a Complimentary Home Energy Assessment through Efficiency UNITED: UPPCO and SEMCO customers can sign up to have a professional assessor visit their home and provide a Home Energy Score. The score provides information about a home’s energy performance and identifies opportunities for improvement.
Appliance Recycling through Efficiency UNITED: UPPCO customers can unload outdated/unused refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, and dehumidifiers (no electronics or old stoves). Efficiency UNITED will take them out of your sight forever -- and even provide a rebate for doing so!*
Sign Up for 2016 programs through Efficiency UNITED: Income-eligible UPPCO customers can sign up to receive new, energy-efficient LED lighting and refrigerators to replace their old, energy-guzzling ones.*
Solar Oven S’mores: Sounds delicious, doesn’t it? And more… lots more!
Want to be an Energy Show exhibitor? Learn more.
* UPPCO and SEMCO customers should bring a copy of their bill to participate in special programs. Proof-of-income is also needed for income-eligible programs.
Click here to see the schedule for more HEET events in October and November.