The day will begin at 9 a.m. with a meeting of the Michigan State Parks Advisory Committee. The committee will receive an update on parks and recreation activities and an overview of the Michigan Outdoor Recreation Leadership retreat, and discuss streamlining the general management plan process. The committee will also set goals and objectives for 2013.
At 2 p.m., the Policy Committee on Wildlife and Fisheries will discuss the survey of crossbow deer hunters, as well as receive reports from the Fisheries and Wildlife divisions.
At 3 p.m., the Committee of the Whole will receive Department of Natural Resources Director Keith Creagh’s report and a legislative update.*
Beginning at 4 p.m., a Partners in Conservation Award, the Shikar Safari Club International Officer of the Year Award, and prizes to winners of the 2013 Pure Michigan Hunt drawing will be presented.
Immediately following the awards presentations, the NRC will hear comments from the public. Those wishing to make public comments before the NRC should contact Deb Whipple, executive assistant to the NRC, at 517-373-2352 or firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
Eligible for action by DNR Director Creagh are orders to:
- Regulate dip netting for smelt, suckers and other fish species, allowing anglers to net fish earlier in the year;
- Regulate off-road vehicle use at Silver Lake State Park;
- Regulate use of Grand Haven State Park by campers;
- Regulate entry to the face of the limestone cliffs at Fayette Historic State Park;
- Regulate the use and occupancy of the Lime Island State Recreation Area coal dock;
- Repeal language regarding the possession and use of fireworks at state parks and recreation areas to conform to state statute;
- Repeal language regarding the use of firearms in Grand Mere State Park and South Fox Island to conform to state statute.
For more information about the NRC, including the full meeting agenda, informational memos and past meeting minutes, visit www.michigan.gov/nrc.
* A Natural Resources Commission Committee of the Whole Live Webcast will begin at 3 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 7, on the DNR home page: www.michigan.gov/dnr.